Oct 2, 2011

Screen shots

I have not really blogged for a while (in a significant way) but after a long, very long day, I think this is definitely worth a share.

I knew I had to meet him at 10 am and I did not want to be early but then I did not want to be late as well. It had been a one month long delay; and every time there was an excuse of some sort: the mobile dropped in the water, family call, mmm....do not really check my emails, not so frequent in Facebook...and after a while, you are bound to wonder if something is wrong with you. I know I can get on people's nerves sometimes. But I think he would not know about that because this is actually the first time we are going to meet, officially. I saw him. But I did not call him, I tend to do that. I hate calling people. I wish they spotted me sooner and I would not have to bother with calling, and just feeling awkward. So, I waited, flipped through The Trail: Kafka has definitely impressed me, and waited for him to notice me. He did. He, unlike me, was not a snob.

----------

I wanted to watch I Am because we have been dealing with the issue of being and identifying as a Queer in our class for quite a long time and I think there is a lot of uncleared air about it, we discuss about it as if we know what it is to be a queer...the journey is not like ours, not like mine and definitely not like the way we discuss it. I could not make it through all of it but the parts that I did manage to see were genuine and I really do appreciate how the director (who herself identified with being a lesbian) captured these stories behind the faces and smiles. I wondered for a while what it would feel like to live in a world where when a person dates someone or is in a relationship or is married, or is just having sex, nobody bothers if it is with an opposite sex. Nepal, as far as I know as I know, is in denial.

----------

It rained in Manhattan Short(sorry could not get a decent link to this one). I passed by Gopi Krishna Hall and faced that gigantic whitewashed building, resonating Rana regime in its pillars: Nepal Chalachitra Board (I do not know if it was a palace during that time around but it sure did look like one). From South Asia to Manhattan, the ride was surreal (in case this is too vague, I was in Film South Asia during the morning and during the evening, I ended up being in Manhattan Short Film, which declares itself to be the first Global Film Festival). I think FSA and MSF were two different worlds yet, both were creative fields in my eyes and those who had to make a choice between FSA and MSF were poor victims of discourses. South Asia was about being gay, searching for Yarsa, human rights and MSF was about mystery, travel, plot...I do not know the difference or maybe I do, but after five shorts, the person I was waiting for did not arrive and instead I got an SMS saying "It is raining so I am still on the way"...I replied: "It is raining so I went home".

--------

So, if you ask me how my day went: I just floated around and let the micro take me where it wanted me to. From K to Kumari Hall to City Center to Tinkune to Gaushala to K; there was an information overload and a hang that I can't get over. Too many screen shots. Ya, that is what my day was like: too many screen shots.

1 comment: