Dec 17, 2011

going private

why do i feel the need to explain?

perhaps, i just need an assurance (re) that i am not the only one.

sometime ago, i received an email from a stranger (and the content of the email unsettled me) and i was shocked/appalled at how someone could take advantage of the vulnerabilities that i was sharing with the world that is unknown to me. If i was absolutely sure I could reason with this person, I would have done something about it.

anonymous readers were always welcome. i wasn't really even bothered about my Anonymity. I think even with my real identity, I will, and most of you who blog, remain anonymous in various ways despite ALL the information you can gather about each  other.

This particular email led me to despair and I think some of you noticed my discomfort with blogging after that. I thought I should probably end my blog here. And after that, it has been very difficult for me; especially because I am such a big believer on being open about your emotions).

(Guys, this is such a difficult post to write right now)

I seriously have no words for what I am trying to explain but I felt violated. And I felt violated not because this other person knew my name, my address, my age, my interests but because this person violated this unwritten code: that what I, or anyone for that matter, share with you, I also entrust that you take care of that emotion.

You must be wondering why such a big deal over an email from a stranger who would not even matter in my life.  Perhaps yes. Maybe my reason is clouded for this matter. I am not sure. But because this person not only held my information (that I can easily get over) but this person also started to take every thing that I wrote about personally and shit, why am I even trying to explain it. Shit. That is what that email was and shit it will remain for me.

I have decided to make this blog private for a while. Let's see where it goes.

Is it a big deal? Perhaps yes for me.

1 comment:

  1. do what's right for you - and the same reasons I safe guard my id too - ahhh for all but 4 folks who now know me. good luck.

    ReplyDelete