The first time I met M dai was during his theatre days in G and it was an instant connection. I have never acted (except for once) and my connection to theatre is for this sheer love for arts. I would like to give him the credit for introducing me to this completely different world of Korean movies. When I tell people I like watching Korean movies, they give me that reaction, the "ewww-boys-before-flower" look, and I have to admit, I am a sucker for those kind of movies as well. I don't mind watching them. I think Coffee Prince has been, by far, one of my favorite Korean movies.
But this blog is not about "Playful Kisses", "Coffee Prince", "Daisy" and sorts. But if you want to go ahead, search it up, be my guest; watch them and be sure to comment on them.
This blog is about the other side of Korean movies that M dai introduced me to. He handed me a DVD of a movie named The Bow when I was in my Bachelor's second year I think; in my opinion, too young to understand what it means. But I instantly fell for that kind of movie because of the use of silence in it, the play with light and darkness, and water. These elements left far more impressions on my mind than the story itself. The characters were uncanny; life-like yet awkward and unearthly; that must be because they talked so less. I still do not know what the movie meant, but I loved it.
The second movie, surprisingly, was recommended by a friend of mine, A, who has shared movies and music like girls share make-up fashion-tips. It was called 3-Iron. I did not know it was the same director but the excitement in her voice convinced me that I had to watch it. Similar elements; play with silence, shadows, darkness, uncanny characters. But this time, I enjoyed the plot too. I loved the movie but never understood why the movie was named "3-Iron". Maybe I should search it.
The third movie, yesterday, somehow landed up in my cousin's Korean romantic chick-flicks, somehow. I started to watch the movie (the name is Samaritan Girl) and at first, I decided I do not want to watch it. But I started to recognize some elements: less dialogues, weird characters, weird plot, silence, water; things that will make you feel weird from inside. You love the movie but you can't say you love it somehow because you feel guilty for liking what it was trying to portray but at the same time, there are no words to explain why you feel the way you feel. It was the same director! This time, I fell for the two girl characters; and the silences.
This is the other side of the Korean movies. And, don't judge people when they say they love Korean movies. Just ask them what movies they have watched. If they have watched any of the ones that I have mentioned above, count them in the list who know Korea movie world for real.
But this blog is not about "Playful Kisses", "Coffee Prince", "Daisy" and sorts. But if you want to go ahead, search it up, be my guest; watch them and be sure to comment on them.
This blog is about the other side of Korean movies that M dai introduced me to. He handed me a DVD of a movie named The Bow when I was in my Bachelor's second year I think; in my opinion, too young to understand what it means. But I instantly fell for that kind of movie because of the use of silence in it, the play with light and darkness, and water. These elements left far more impressions on my mind than the story itself. The characters were uncanny; life-like yet awkward and unearthly; that must be because they talked so less. I still do not know what the movie meant, but I loved it.
The second movie, surprisingly, was recommended by a friend of mine, A, who has shared movies and music like girls share make-up fashion-tips. It was called 3-Iron. I did not know it was the same director but the excitement in her voice convinced me that I had to watch it. Similar elements; play with silence, shadows, darkness, uncanny characters. But this time, I enjoyed the plot too. I loved the movie but never understood why the movie was named "3-Iron". Maybe I should search it.
The third movie, yesterday, somehow landed up in my cousin's Korean romantic chick-flicks, somehow. I started to watch the movie (the name is Samaritan Girl) and at first, I decided I do not want to watch it. But I started to recognize some elements: less dialogues, weird characters, weird plot, silence, water; things that will make you feel weird from inside. You love the movie but you can't say you love it somehow because you feel guilty for liking what it was trying to portray but at the same time, there are no words to explain why you feel the way you feel. It was the same director! This time, I fell for the two girl characters; and the silences.
This is the other side of the Korean movies. And, don't judge people when they say they love Korean movies. Just ask them what movies they have watched. If they have watched any of the ones that I have mentioned above, count them in the list who know Korea movie world for real.
im definately guilty of judging people when they say they watch korean movies. an image of overly cute korean teenagers holding hands with a teddy bear in the background comes to mind. in my defense, this whole korean phenomena seemed to have swept Nepal after i left, so i never really got to watch those movies and judge them for what they actually are. but i might looks some up now :D
ReplyDeletehehe. yea i know what you mean. i think those flick movies are made for a certain audience and i really dont mind them as well. some of them are good as well, to be fair. but yea, the mass of it is worse than our Nepali movies :D (i hope no S. Korean is reading this). but do search these movies up if you like weird, slow paced, silent, did i say weird, movies :D
ReplyDeletethanks chief gabril :) and thanks for the link.
ReplyDelete