Dec 6, 2011

After blogging about not feeling well, I felt really low this time around. I knew this was not a good sign.

Therefore, I decided to go to my granparents' home. It is nearby but they live in a beautiful home, with a large enough vegetable garden, and to reach the house, you have to climb a steep concrete staircase (steep as in, steep for my grandparents). I called them up, picked up Kerouac, and went off.

Meeting my grandparents is really one of the most gorgeously warm feeling. After the climb, I could see that my grandfather was on the chhaat. When I reached there, I realized that I had dropped into a meeting of some sort; a bunch of elderlies; four grandpops and three grandmums (well, this makes it easier to write); chatting incessantly about the mayor of our village being an ass. It was lovely to attend the meeting.

Kasto paako kurakani, katti majjako ghamailo din ani baat mardai basnu bhayeko mero baaje ra moom.

My granny always asks if I am hungry and says, "Naatini lai khuwaune kei bhayena" and then from the other corner of the room, my grandpop says, "Naatini le khuwaunu paryo ni aba ta". I love their chats, their sense of humor and the lovely teasing that goes about between them.

We sat together, and I asked my moom to open up the yellow album. We went through each of the photographs, they described to me exactly what each of them meant, where it was taken, who are in it and all the sorts. There was one particular image of my grandmother, mother, and some other relatives, a black and white image: it was the first time they had come to Kathmandu. We laughed, we joked around the peculiar expressions on our faces, and then there were some wedding photographs of my mother, and aunts. My moom told me how when my mother was getting married, she was in a corner of another room, crying.

I did not want to leave but then too much of good things is not safe. It scares me. I left them, with smiles on their faces and a smile in my heart.

I think my heart is cured for today :)




2 comments:

  1. grandparents are the best thing that one could ever have in life.
    by the way what does moom mean?how would you pronounce that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. you should visit your grandparents more often..
    also do usually speak in nepali like" Kasto paako kurakani, katti majjako ghamailo din ani baat mardai basnu bhayeko mero baaje ra moom".you are so good in nepali, i think i will get zero or -1(for not even trying) in nepali ...

    ReplyDelete